Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Big Girl Conference

Today I had the amazing opportunity to attend Forever Family's Practitioner's Institute - a conference that brought together all of the amazing men and women who work with incarcerated families. For those of you that don't know, the ministry I work with, kidz2leaders, inc. works solely with prisoners' children in the metro-Atlanta area. I was excited to go for the simple fact that I would to be surrounded by other men and women who are passionate about making a difference in people's lives whether it be the child who has a parent incarcerated or the parent who is coming out of prison.

It was humbling to be surrounded my people who had been advocating for this population for 20-30 years. Sometimes I feel like having worked with k2l for 4 years makes me an expert but there is still so much to learn. While not all of the organizations were faith-based, I was impressed that the guest speaker encouraged us all to put God in the middle of the work we have been called to do. We (me) all need a good reminder that it's His work, His will, His kids and not mine.

...On a side note, I was reminded that even though your office lets you wear t-shirts and jeans to work, it is ok to bust out your business attire every once in a while. It's been such a long time that I have been to a "professional" conference, I think I forgot wearing a suit is actually appropriate. Oops...I guess my capris and cardigan weren't exactly business casual! I was also asked to serve as a "faculty member" in break-out sessions to talk to people about summer camps for prisoners' children which means I had to submit a bio on myself...let me just add I need a little help in this area. My bio read at the end, "Mrs. Hunt lives with her husband, Marc, and their dog Bailey. Yes, I included information about my dog in my bio. So...next time I am asked to attend a professional conference where a bio is needed, I will be sure to put on my big girl panties, wear a suit, and be sure to have someone other than me write my bio .....

No comments:

Post a Comment