Thursday, January 13, 2011

It's a New Year!

It seems that the "newness" of 2011 has already worn off and we're into the thick of another year. Dates are already filling up on the calendar and the year already seems to be flying by...I mean, we're already halfway through my birthmonth! I want to be really intentional about enjoying each and every experience of this year rather than treating it like a to-do list, because I don't think I am able to slow down time.

I had a moment to reflect on 2010 while I was in my pjs all New Years eve and night with a yucky cold, and if I had to sum the year up in one word it would be consistency...and overcoming challenges (yes I realize that's two words, well three really). Marc and I experienced a lot of change our first few years of marriage and 2010 marked a year where nothing dramatically changed - we stayed in the same home and same jobs. You have NO idea what a blessing that was! Consistency really can be a good thing sometimes.

It was also a year of overcoming challenges. I'll be honest, I dreaded 2010. I remember thinking, "I hope this year goes by so quickly." As we set out into 2010, I was stressed by another year of financial commitments for school, and I was SO ready for Marc to just be in a full-time position already. After the full-time position was not approved, I realized how I made this my idol and goal for the year. 2010 was also a year of God pouring His blessing of provision onto our family - we have never seen more unexpected assistance and just random checks show up in the mail to assist with Marc's school. We still have financial stresses and worries for 2011, but if we learned ANYTHING in 2010 it would be that God is faithful, He always provides (even if it's not the provision you were looking for) and His word is true. I personally overcame physical challenges in 2010 - I would have never thought I would train for and do 2 sprint-triathalons, 3 5ks and a 1/2 marathon. This is the same girl who used to beg her mother to carry her so she didn't have to walk.

I don't really do resolutions, but I've had some time this week to think about what the Lord wants to do in my life this year...
- He has been so faithful in helping me with my physical discipline but He wants displine in all areas of my life - especially my time. I even had this CRAZY thought last night of possibly not watching tv anymore so I can focus on more quality time with Him. Haven't completely bought into the idea because it would be hard...which means that God is pushing me to do it. Dangit!
- Preparing our hearts for a family and trusting His perfect timing. To us, family is having our own children and inviting those who don't have a family be a part of ours.
- Letting go of control, worry, and this idea I have to be perfect - it's like an addiction and sometimes feels like I have a zillion voices in my head. For any worry-warts or perfictionists out there, you know what I'm talking about. Like I trained for a race, I want to train to completely surrender this to Him and actually let Him rule my life as well as His peace and joy.
- Better communication with Marc - listening, following, and LOTS more listening.

As the devotion I read this morning said:

We are creatures of habit – let's make it our habit in 2011 to seek God first each day and commit our plans to Him. I think we will marvel at the results, time and again.

Dear Lord, today I seek Your face, wisdom and Your will. I give my plans to You and I ask that I may operate in Your power. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."
Proverbs 16:3

No comments:

Post a Comment